CBS Celebrates 40th Anniversary on National Dog Day
Community Based Services (CBS), the nonprofit parent agency of Good Reasons is celebrating its milestone 40th anniversary on August 26, National Dog Day. The celebration will take place at Cultivating Dreams Farm on 18 Meadow Road, in Hopewell Junction, NY, from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. In addition to family friendly activities and entertainment provided by some very talented dogs, the event will showcase programs for people with disabilities in newly constructed recreational learning spaces.
Register for a Day on Cultivating Dreams Farm
Families who are looking for services for loved ones with a disability, professionals in the education and disability services field, or those curious about the Farm are encouraged to attend the event and explore the programs in action within the new spaces. Register for this free event here: https://bit.ly/2SBjaln
Holistic Farm-to-Table Learning Experience
Cultivating Dreams provides a holistic farm-to-table learning experience for people with autism and developmental disabilities, emphasizing a strong connection to the environment through agricultural work, as well as the joy of preparing nutritious meals using the harvest. There is a need for opportunities for people with disabilities, who often thrive in a natural and serene setting, for vocational and life skills development as well as athletic and community activities. With the help of a grant and fundraising, CBS has constructed new safe and accessible outdoor spaces to enhance its ability to provide solutions to these needs and to serve more people from the community and school districts.
“Our goal is to serve more people. We want to provide a sensory experience for people of all abilities, and open doors for people to enjoy and recreate in the peacefulness of the Farm,” says Chief Executive Officer Vicki Sylvester.
Family Friendly Activities
The event will kick off with a tree planting to commemorate the 40th anniversary and the founder of CBS, Kevin McCarthy. In addition, the following family-friendly activities are planned:
- Enjoy a bouncy house, face painting, sensory table, and seed planting.
- Be entertained by demonstrations from BluePath Service Dogs, and musical for all ages provided by guitarist Brian Dallas Fields, his dog Buck, and his therapy animals.
- Explore our greenhouse via a wheelchair accessible entrance, made from locust wood cut from the property, to enjoy plants grown by individuals in our agricultural program.
- Visit a second greenhouse, built to expand horticultural programs.
- Play a friendly game of basketball, pickle ball, or bocce ball on newly constructed courts.
- Discover the renovated barn, a multipurpose space for arts and crafts such as candle making and autumn pumpkin carving.
- Amble along Overlook Path, taking in the beauty of the property and enjoying the scent of an herb garden.
“I cannot think of a better way to celebrate CBS’ 40th anniversary than to spend a day with the people that we support at our Cultivating Dreams Farm. Cultivating Dreams allows people of all abilities to experience seed to harvest and beyond. Come join us as we showcase the most recent developments at our beautiful farm,” says Director of Day Programs Betty Rivadeneira.
For more information about the event, please contact Marketing and Communications Coordinator Andrea Grady via email@example.com.
About Cultivating Dreams Farm
Located in the heart of Dutchess County, Cultivating Dreams Farm provides a holistic farm-to-table experience emphasizing pre-vocational agricultural and life skills, while fostering community inclusion. In addition to activities on our recreational farm, our participants are empowered in their volunteer work with Dutchess Outreach, Meals on Wheels, the Food Bank of the Hudson Valley, as well as local senior centers and churches.